Sunday 22 November 2015

Bran Fruit Loaf - A Fun Way to Eat Bran and it's also Egg Free.

Bran Fruit Loaf. Delicious with Butter.
If you feel you are missing fibre in your diet, bran is probably the answer, but if like me, you don't like cereal in the morning, or you find bran too tasteless on its own, you might want to try this.  It's a recipe I got an All-Bran packet in the 80s and I hadn't made it for years, but I remembered that it is quite tasty. It's also eggless.









Bran Fruit Loaf is very simple to do and does not require much equipment. Just as well as I can't lift my mixer at the moment.
I altered the original recipe to make it more interesting and I will show both versions below.

Ingredients:
4 oz (100 g) Bran
5 oz sugar (125g)
10 oz (275 g)mixed dried fruit
1/4 pt milk (1/2 cup)
4 oz Self Raising flout (100 g)

Put the bran, sugar, dried fruit into a basin and mix them well together.
Stir in milk and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Stir in the flour and pour the mixture into a greased 2 lb loaf tin.
Bake at 350 F or 180 C for about one hour.
Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool.
Cut into slices and serve with butter.

My versions:
I used 3 oz sultanas, 3 oz glace cherries, one Tablespoon mixed peel and some chopped walnuts.
I baked it for about 45 minutes, but it could have baked a little longer.
Delicious.

3 comments: