Tuesday 10 March 2015

What are you reading?

Elizabeth is Missing is a very good read about
an elderly woman who can't find her friend.
What a blessing a good read it. I've read several good books since Christmas and this is one of the best.  The story is about a woman who is trying to find her friend, Elizabeth, but she can't remember the clues.  Maud is elderly and losing her memory and the story is seen through her eyes. The reader is sometimes as confused and frustrated as she is, but the book has pathos and humour and this is what made it a good read for me. Interspersed with Maud's search for Elizabeth is another story about Maud's missing sister.  In the course of the story both mysteries are solved.
Lately, on the news, there have been too many stories about dementia.   The accompanying photos are always of old people in slippers. Heaven forbid that it should come to that. It's something I worry about, so I flip channels immediately, putting off the evil day. I can't say that this book made me feel better about it, but it certainly did not make me feel worse.  Maud is a very sympathetic character and some of her experiences ring true. Basically people in the story are kind and Maud has some satisfaction in the end.
What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to catch up on my Jennifer Chiaverini novels, just bought another a few days ago. I'm reading Sonoma Rose, a story about a Hispanic mother in California with sick children, but there are quilts involved so it is really good! Have you read any of her books?

    ReplyDelete