Wednesday 18 December 2013

Christmas Part 3 - Christmas Fortune Cookie Bags


Ho Ho Ho
There is still time to make these bags before Christmas as once they are cut out, they take about 1/2 an hour to sew. I made mine for wrapping oddly shaped presents, or for carting things to our friends' house on Christmas Day.  We will be able to use them year after year.

You need one metre of fabric.  If it is furnishing fabric, you may get two bags out of it.  If not, you will only get one.

The larger bag here measures approximately 25" x 25" and the two smaller ones are 24" x 21".  My original ones were 30" x 30".



The basic pattern is made from a square as shown below.  Diagonal lines are cut and then the pieces are stitched together again.  I cut my larger bag from an oblong, following the same principles. For full instructions, you can look an my blog from 31 March 2012,  which has a link on my side bar.



You can make your own pattern by drawing diagonal lines on a square or an oblong.
You need two of each piece
.


Here is what a bag looks like opened up.  It has a large opening on the top,
perfect for putting presents in.
A close up of the fabrics.



4 comments:

  1. Great idea did you see my bags I made for Christmas pressies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. They are beautiful. Might try them for birthdays. They would make good gifts filled with goodies. Mine are just quick and easy sacks.

      Delete
  2. These are so clever and practical. Next year I will make them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They would make good 'stockings' for children who get a few big things from Father Christmas.

      Delete