Friday 4 May 2012

Inspiration for Quilts


Last week I went with a friend to the Courtauld Gallery in London to see Mondrian and Nicholson in Parallel.   I have always loved Mondrian's clean lines and use of colour.  However, having embarked on a little quilt making recently, I was struck by how wonderful Nicholson's paintings would translate into quilts.








The one above, in particular, was so subtle and beautiful that I felt I must 'try it at home' in fabric.  It's a project I have filed away for the future.  This photo does not do justice to the original.
The colours are soft khakis, mauves and brown with a textured black in the background.  I can see this as a quilt panel, or a wall hanging, done in soft cotton flannel or wool.  I will be looking out for the appropriate fabrics.

Here are two more, with gorgeous subtle colours and tonality which would lend themselves to quilts.




And another.  Perhaps a collage of fabrics overlaid on each other?


And finally, this one to be made from organza and other delicate fabrics?


How lovely they would be. 

1 comment:

  1. The curvy bits (circles) would worry me but the clean straight lines would easily work. Look forward to the finished article. xx

    ReplyDelete